Title: My Mom: Lion
Author: Dan Jackson
“All female lions know one another. When they meet, they do a lion greeting ceremony of rubbing and low purring to make sure they are friends,” Dan Jackson writes about these creatures in his e-book, My Mom – Lion.
Part of the Animals Books series, this thirty page e-book targets children ages four to twelve years old who enjoy learning about animals, especially lions. Due to its complicated wording, the book would best be read out loud to beginner readers. With no scary scenes or violence but mentioning they eat meat including zebras and wildebeests, it would make a nice quiet time story or to use in a science class.
Large colorful photographs of these grand creatures grace almost every page with one or two sentences underneath in an easy-to-read black font. With no pictures of hunting or eating other animals, scenes are interesting to look at and view by any age group. Whether the animal is in its pride, resting in the grass, or protecting others, they are displayed as babies and adults.
With the lions being known as the “kings of the jungle,” here are some interesting tidbits mentioned in this educational read:
- Lions live in open plains and woodlands, mainly in Africa and India.
- A male is called a tom; a female is called a lioness, and babies are called cubs.
- A litter usually consists of two to three cubs.
- Males grow up to four feet tall and weigh up to 530 pounds.
- Most lions live to age fifteen in the wild.
- Lions can run up to eighty kilometers per hour.
- Females do most of the hunting.
- They live in a pride of twelve to fifteen lions, with only one adult male in the group.
- A lion’s roar can be heard eighty kilometers away.
- Young lions sleep up to twenty hours a day.
If a child needs a quick source of information about this peculiar mammal for a report, this book has many facts listed. Although not a story book or simple picture book, it is a collection of descriptions about lions and how they live.
Thanks to the author for furnishing this complimentary e-book in exchange for a review based on the reader’s honest opinion.
This review will be posted on Amazon with links on Bookfun.org, Godinterest, Pinterest, and LinkedIn.
GRAMMARLY was used to check for errors.